Monday, March 10, 2008

I am changed, and I am going!

God's timing and plan are perfect. You've heard it, you agree with it, but when you are right in the middle of it, you are speechless. So in my world there are women who I feel are like seniors in high school while I am just an awkward freshman (otherwise known as mentors but it took me a while to connect that). I can see them only from a distance and long to get to know them. The theme He continues to place in front of me is an Christian, alpha female. In February, our homeschooling and God's plan, landed me smack in the middle of two! One of them handed me a few "Above Rubies" magazines and an invitation to join her at their upcoming retreat. As I read them, my prayer of something more tangible to strengthen my marriage and family life was answered and laterally in my hands like a rope pulling me to safety. I could not put them down and found support and encouragement and ideas as my calling to be a Christian wife and mother! WOW. I so wanted to go to the retreat, but time away from home is a tough thing to make happen. An entire weekend would be a miracle. But Jesus is into stuff like that. He has provided a husband with an agreeable heart (well the actual "yes" to the retreat sounded more like "whatever it takes to make you happy, even if I have to suffer"), registration fees and placement, play dates for the kids while I am gone (and so Ian is rested and ready to return to work on Monday) and other details that will let me completely soak in all that He has for me. I am so excited I can barely contain it. Since I received and read those magazines everything about me has changed. My heart, my step, my thinking, my purpose for doing my wife and mother things. Yes, I loved my husband, but there is a passion for him and with him that is overflowing. Yes, my children are important to me, but there is a new intention for our time and interaction. There has been such a change in me that Ian asked me (TWICE) if I was pregnant. Nope. Then what was I up to. Nothing I said so I told him about the magazines and read him part of one. I chose a small article about honoring you husband. "That is what I am talking about" he exclaimed. I tried to explain my heart and such to him and he asked "Is there was going to be a ransom note demanding money or I get my old wife back". (No, but good idea). So back to my "senior" thing. These are the answers to prayer I asked for long ago. Two friends have been watching and hearing all that has been happening, and I revealed to them that they too use to be a "seniors" to me. "Use to be?" they asked. Yeah, not anymore because they are accessible. We have a relationship!! Maybe it is the 5 phone calls a day we can count on having together, or that she is an emergency contact on any information sheet for my family, or that often you will see our daughter in either of their arms blending into their family. Amen to all the above!! Thank you Jesus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, even your writing is powerful, Tami. If you ever get around to it, I'd love to hear more on the subject. I seem to go in spurts - it usually revolves around when I am reading any one of Elizabeth George's books. I am not very good at keeping it at that level consistently though. Isn't it amazing how our own attitudes can affect relationships so drastically, even if the other person/people are unaware or not also striving? Good for you!

Alliwoo said...

Yeah! I'm so glad I found your blog! Now I can keep up to date with what's been going on in your world! Wooohooo!

Anonymous said...

You made me cry. I am so grateful for your friendship and our growing relationship and 5 a days (isn't that what the food guide pyramid reccomends?) I look forward to our journey together of knowing Christ and His will. I love you. Carolynn