Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Food Issues

Is it the weather or what? There have been some interesting food happenings here. I said yes to Everett's request to a marshmallow. Apparently you have to roast them first. This tactic work surprisingly well, although I'm sure there's a warning sticker somewhere on the oven that says not to do this.
And this? This is what Isobel made as part of her lunch, and more shockingly ate! A peanut butter and mayo sandwich (on gluten free bread of course).
She has a good track record for eating what she makes. Such as blueberries in her split pea soup and sugar snap peas in her yogurt. As long as she eats it right?

We made the choice for me to be dairy free months before Abigail was born. In the years following Everett and Isobel's infancy, we believe that dairy played a huge part in their nursing. So since October I've been cheese, milk, and yogurt deprived. Then it got worse. Isobel became gluten free. She had been complaining of stomach aches for quite some time. She only mentioned it when given a task to do, so we never quite believed her. So we took her off gluten see if 1) she got better 2) the lack of favorite foods out weighed the tasks requested.
And she quickly felt better. If it worked for her, maybe we should try it for Abigail via me. Oh joy!! And what do you know, Abigail became less fussy and her acne skin cleared up the same day. So now I'm gluten, dairy, and bean free. Yes, I eat a lot of oatmeal, nuts and non-gassy
produce. But meals must be made and deserts sought out. So Isobel and I made our first gluten and dairy free cake. It turned out great! After being heavily influenced by the show "Cake Boss", Ian and I decided the kids should ice their own cakes:

This is one of my best childhood memories. My mom would let us pick out whatever style cake pan and decorate it per our request. She is an amazing cake decorator and it's what I remember most about my birthdays.

And some pictures of Abigail just for fun:

No comments: