Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Field Trip

Yesterday we took a field tip to my parents house. My family hunts deer and elk and so there is a wealth of knowledge regarding our new subject of guns (gun safety and history leading up to the Pilgrims for Thanksgiving). The pictures are poor, but our day was so much more and great.First we started with a gun safety video. Then Everett recorded what he learned to do if he found a gun 1. Stop 2. Don't touch 3. Leave the area 4. Tell an adult.Then after a discussion of how to handle a gun (always point it in a safe direction, always treat it as if it were loaded) it was time to show and tell through the gun safe (posting pictures of that makes me nervous about privacy though). It was very cool for me to see my papa teach my son in much the same way he taught me. It was cool too for papa and I to use our hunting and camping memories to teach Evie. It was NOT cool to see the height difference between me at 10 vs. Everett at 6 with the SAME rifle! I'm gonna be a little momma to a big boy.

As with any grandparents house there are highlights. At my parents place it is the Wii and the hot tub. So since we were learning about guns, they did a little target practice via the Wii. Thanks Papa! I had a great time . . . and E did too.

No comments: