Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day of growing up

Today Everett lost his first tooth. It took about a month from the first wiggle to a hole. I can not stand to loose teeth (to many oral surgeries as a kid) so Everett thoroughly enjoyed watching me squirm everyday. He was a little shocked when it actually came out. I however did all the screaming and cringing. I kept waiting for him to have an issue with it (he does not like to see his own blood), but he did great and wanted to see the lack of it in the mirror.



Then came the afternoon. We had to stand our parental ground. Well I actually sat it in the alley as I watched our kids ride bikes in the ally while Ian BBQ'd dinner (BTW, who had the easier job?). Seems simple right. Now add in other unsupervised, boundary lacking, non helmet wearing while bike riding neighborhood kids who invite our son on a ride around the block . . . again. UGH!!! It was tough to see Ev upset by our (repeated) decision, but no was the right decision. As I sat there, watching them all play inevitably with in E's boundaries, I remembered that we are to be in the world not of it. Our parenting style is obviously way different than those around us. And that's ok. It reminded me of all the times I thought I knew what I wanted but God said no. Or how much He really would like to give me everything, but not everything is good for me.

Before the end of dinner, Everett and Isobel were able to see some of the dangers we were trying to protect them from (one girl crashed on her bike w/o a helmet and a car had to stop since the other children rode out into the street).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats EV what a great milestone. I love when the 2 front teeth are gone.
Way to stand your ground Tami, we are not to conform to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!!!