Monday, November 9, 2009

No Posts

To say that I am tired sounds cliche and like a broken record. You see, I currently can fall asleep no problem and stay there even. Way different than a couple of years ago when I could not fall nor stay asleep. The problem is that my brain is on (and on, and on, and . . ) I seem to have a restricted airway and thus my brain is repeatedly checking to make sure that there is air available. I know this because of my sleep study: Here I am with 2 chest band, 2 eye, 1 in each nostril, 1 mouth, 4 chin, 5 brain, 2 chest, 4 leg (that I can remember). That box in my hand was connected to each of them and my sleep was recorded. On your mark, get set, sleep . . . . They asked (as I am sure you are) "How did you sleep?". "No problem. No kids. No husband kicking me out for snoring". Just me, my blanket and pillow all in what looks and functions just like a hotel room. All the hook ups were not a problem. I woke up as much as I usually do.

The result: NO REM sleep. Can you believe that. I was shocked. Picture a non beating heart; a flat line. A good sleep will record curves below the line. Mine only did it once at the beginning of the night, 10:30 or so. In fact, that was the only time it dipped down, the rest of the night my "curves" were spike after spike of waking up. I am thrilled to know that this fatigue, fog, and lumberment (?) to complete a day is not just in my head. Now it is witnessed, recorded, documented, and on its way to being treated.
How do I feel about falling asleep with a mask on my face? Fine, if I can feel more human and capable. How does my husband feel about such a sexy embellishment? Fine since he will get a good nights sleep too, and his wife might be more able to tackle her tasks.

Please do not let this post or picture scare you off from investigating your sleep or health (Mrs. B I'm talking to you!!!) Even if I do not end up with a machine to help me breath at night, I may need a medication instead to let my brain relax for the night. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Renee from A Baker's Dozen said...

Before I got to the last paragraph I was planning to leave a comment saying that photo scared me...but since you were talking to me...I have my appointment for Wednesday Nov. 18. Can you help transport my girls to Japanese? The appointment is at 1:30, same time as Japanese, I thought maybe I could just drop them off a few minutes early...